I believe we can all agree that life is more enjoyable when you have a partner to share it with, regardless of whether it’s a pair or not. That’s why tandem kayaks are so much fun. Double the activity and enjoyment by doing the same thing twice! What could be better than spending a day on the water with a friend or Wife?
If you’re with someone else, your kayaking experience will be more enjoyable. You’ll have the added benefit of an extra set of eyes and hands to help maintain control of the boat while moving through whitewater or chop!
We’ve compiled a list of our top 5 favorite two-person kayaks, as well as a detailed F.A.Q. Section and answers to your most challenging questions.
We’ve discovered a tandem kayak that is perfect for you, regardless of your preferences. To get started on your next journey, have a look at the table of contents below!
Top Tandem Kayaks “Sneak Peek”
If you’re searching for the ideal two-top for your paddling pleasure, we’ve compiled a list of some of the top two-person kayaks for whatever form of paddling you want to do. We’ve sorted our favorite tandem kayaks according to specific activities in this section.
Our Top 5 Two Person Kayaks [Trailblazers]
Here we present five of our favorite two-person kayaks for any activity. Are you a beginner kayaker looking to ease into the waters before committing to your solo kayak? Maybe you’re an experienced paddler and want a tandem that’ll let you enjoy some new excitement on the water. Whatever your plans may be, these are our top five open-top two-person kayaks!
open-top tandem kayak reviews
1. Sea Eagle SE370TAN Explorer
2. Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor
3. Point 65 N St Petersburg Tandem Recreational Kayak
4. Aire Tributary Tomcat JK
5. Malone Auto Racks Double Decker Universal 2-Bike Storage Rack System for Truck Bed, Roof, or Trunk (B00FJS48YE)
Takeaways from the Tandem Kayak
There are a variety of kayak models to select from on our list, regardless of your budget. Although all appear the same, there are some significant differences. This is especially true when it comes to picking the finest tandem kayak, and we’ve compiled a list of seven takeaways for you:
- Figure out what you’ll need for storage. How much do you require, and how much does the boat provide? Look for a double kayak with lots of areas if you’re going fishing, camping, deep-sea diving, or on a multi-day excursion.
- Consider the comfort of the seats and footrests. Do you intend to spend more than half a day in your tandem? If that’s the case, you’ll want adjustable back support, cushioning, and foot supports that fit both of your heights (adjustable are best).
- The shape of the hull has some significance. Our list includes many distinct front designs, including V hulls, tri-hulls, and pontoon boats.
- Consider your budget. Kayaks can cost less, the same, or more than two-person boats. Decide if you want to be alone or with someone else.
- Consider purchasing your youngster a kid’s kayak if older or more experienced. Two-person kayaks are ideal for learning, but kids want to be independent as soon as possible. In the long run, buying a solo watercraft may save you money.
- Consider how you’ll transport your more giant, heavier tandem from your car to the water and back. A cart and two individuals are generally required when traveling alone with a kayak. An adjustable kayak rack may be used when going solo in a truck.
Best Tandem Sit Inside Kayak: Pelican Argo 136 XP
Open Top Tandem Kayak: FAQS
What are the advantages of sit-on-top tandem kayaks?
Sit on Top Kayaks, also known as SOTs for short, offer a range of impressive features. They’re lightweight and easy to carry by one person. You can manually add or remove water from the cockpit area, which is excellent when you need to adjust the weight of the boat. They require minimal upkeep and provide years of enjoyment with proper care and maintenance!
Since they don’t have sealed cockpits like most two-person kayaks, they usually stay much more relaxed than their closed bow counterparts in hot weather. This means you won’t be fighting over who gets to start paddling first when it’s sweltering outside!
They’re also great for the avid fisherman. Since you can sit on top of your kayak and quickly get in and out, it’s a breeze to get that fishing line into the water.
Are there any disadvantages to tandem Sit-on-top Kayaks?
SOTs tend to be wider than most other two-person kayaks. This results in a less efficient hull, which means they won’t track as well when paddling in a straight line. They’re also slower than their closed cockpit counterparts because they don’t have a sealed deck behind your seating area! The bottom line is that S.O.T. kayaks are great if you want comfort or stability over speed!
What are the best tandem inflatable kayaks?
First of all, if you’re new to the sport, it’s essential to be aware that there’s a wide range of different types of two-person kayaks available. If you want something highly stable for beginners or an inflatable model to take on your next adventure, we’ve got just what you’re looking for!
When space and weight are significant factors in your decision-making process, please don’t rule out inflatables without giving them a chance. They offer many great features at a price that can’t be beaten, especially when you consider how lightweight they tend to be. One last advantage is the ease of use; inflating and deflating these boats are simple.